Matt is an experienced commercial and property lawyer.
His legal career began in the Melbourne office of one of the world’s largest firms, Baker & McKenzie. He then moved in-house and spent time at Paddy Power in Dublin, and then its affiliate Sportsbet in Melbourne.
Matt then went back to London and joined Linklaters, a member of the “Magic Circle” of elite law firms, where he worked until coming back to Australia in 2015 and joining McCarthy Partners.
Since returning Matt has established a varied practice, focussing primarily on commercial and property law matters.
Areas of expertise
Matt’s commercial and business experience include acting in relation to the sale and purchase of businesses (both asset and share sales), supply agreements, terms of trade, shareholder agreements, loan agreements, the Australian Consumer Law, disputes, and other commercial agreements and matters.
Matt is experienced in all manner of property law matters, including multi-lot developments, residential and commercial sales and purchases, commercial and retail leasing, subdivisions, and related agreements and disputes.
Some examples of Matt’s notable experience include:
- Acting for the developer in relation to the construction of a 100+ lot multi-storey mixed-use development in Melbourne, and associated ‘off-the-plan’ sales;
- Acting for a prominent local business in relation to the sale of its business to a publicly listed company;
- Acting for a large commercial construction company in a range of property and commercial matters;
- Acting for a well-known sporting Club in relation to the negotiation and execution of a long term and high value lease to the subsidiary of a publicly listed retirement villages operator;
- Acting for a prominent medical group in relation to its ownership agreements and service agreements;
- Advising buyers and sellers on high value residential and commercial sales and purchases;
- Advising tenants and landlords in retail and other commercial leases of properties on the Mornington Peninsula and Greater Melbourne;
- Advising numerous buyers and sellers in relation to business sales and purchases, in various industries including: hospitality (cafes, restaurants, bars, hotels), garden supplies, automotive services, electrical services, professional services;
- Advising clients in relation to complex estate planning issues;
- Advising businesses in relation to shareholder agreements, partnership agreements and other matters.
Pre McCarthy Partners
- Advising Visa Europe on the procurement of a customised targeted marketing system;
- Advising Sainsbury’s on the procurement of a customised online supply-chain management portal;
- Advising China Telecom in relation to the procurement of IT and communications services and infrastructure;
- Advising a key UK Government department in relation to the renegotiation of its major IT/services contract;
- Advising Lion-Dairy and Drinks Pty Ltd in relation to its sponsorship of the Geelong Football Club;
- Advising Rio Tinto Services Pty Ltd regarding the procurement of IT and communications services;
- Advising BlueScope Steel Ltd in relation to a major business processing outsourcing agreement;
- Advising a resort owner in relation to a hotel management agreement for the InterContinental Resort in Thailand.
Matt has a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) from Deakin University, and is an Academy Fellow of the Centre for American and International Law in Texas.
In 2009 Matt was admitted to the legal profession as an Australian Lawyer.